Delivering Food Education To Children Hungry To Learn
The Royal Academy of Culinary Arts’ Adopt a School Trust, incorporating Chefs Adopt a School and Hospitality in Schools, is a national charity delivering food education in schools. Founded in 1990, the charity reaches thousands of children every year and aims to tackle health inequalities and the lack of knowledge about food and healthy eating.
The Adopt a School programme teaches children about food in a holistic sense - where it comes from, how to cook it and its impact on health and the environment. Professional Chefs and hospitality professionals deliver sessions in the classroom (and sometimes in restaurants or on farms) which range in content from a taste and sensory session to advanced practical cookery and front of house.
Objectives of the Adopt a School Programme:
- To introduce children and young people to real, fresh food through an animated approach to tasting
- TTo encourage children to consider food more closely and learn about food provenance
- TTo show children how to grow their own food
- TTo teach basic food preparation skills
- TTo encourage an understanding of the importance of healthy eating
- TTo offer an insight into the industry
"There is a real need to re-connect children with their food and Adopt a School is the model that should be used across the country."His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales
"Adopt a School is so important, without it, the next generation will really suffer."Heston Blumenthal OBE, Chef Patron, The Fat Duck and Royal Academy of Culinary Arts member
Charity No. 1087567
0208 673 6300
53 Cavendish Road, London SW12 0BL
Please note our new website is in development and will be live soon.